Friday, January 25, 2008

1L Grades Are In -- Should You Quit Law School?

Question: I am a first-year law student at a fourth-tier regional law school and I got my grades about a week ago. They were below average for my class, and I have been very depressed lately. ... How do I evaluate whether I should drop out of law school and do something entirely different? I really want to be a lawyer, but I don't want to do it if I'm not going to be any good at it. Any ideas?

Answer: Some people are better suited to being lawyers than law students. You may be one of them. [Ouch.]

The first year of law school presents a difficult challenge for many students. You are learning new concepts and a new way of thinking. Some students "get it" sooner than others. Sometimes it takes a semester or two, or possibly more, to figure out how to approach legal issues. In a few cases, law is not the right career choice.

Consider whether you like the law, without letting your grades taint your assessment. ... Similarly, separate your grades from your comprehension of the course material. ...Ask yourself whether you possess the skills and characteristics that lead to success in the practice of law. ...
Do not make a hasty decision to drop out of law school. Take time for self-assessment. Explore your options. Benefit from the help that is available to you.

Source: New York Lawyer

No comments: